3rd December is observed as International Day of Persons with Disabilities.Theme for this year is Empower people with disabilities and ensuring inclusion & equality.This theme certainly falls in-line with our vision to build an inclusive world. Here are a few ways that one could mark this auspicious day. It’s not necessary that one needs to work in the area of people with disabilities are having prior association to people with disabilities. Anyone could celebrate. It’s all about building awareness. Empowerment happens through raising awareness.
How you can celebrate:
- Bring together a group of people and talk to them how people with disabilities could lead an independent life.
- Ask people to close their eyes and walk around for a few minutes. This will give them an experinece how the world is for people with vision impairment
- If you know of a person with disability, invite them and hear their story..
- Initiatie a discussion about hiring persons with disabilities and ensuring accessibility as part of business (if not exist already)
- Spread the word about inclusion using social media
- Visit Big Bazar stores to experience their effort for inclusive shopping
- Read about disability and inclusion
- Talk to government around you about implementation of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 (India)
- Create a small video about what disability / inclusion means to you.
These are not only the ways you could celebrate but you can mark the day in any way you want. Let’s together spread the word about disability, inclusion and accessibility.
If you would like me to be part of your celebration and through your journey of inclusion, drop me an email or comment on this post. Will be happy to help.