Noticed that Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India has re-designed its website and here are list of quick accessibility findings. Note that this is not a complete assessment report.
- Slider images do not have appropriate alternate text. They are provided something like “Slider 1, Slider 2 etc.”
- Page has about 11 color contrast issues
- Main navigation menus are operable using keyboard; however, menus gets automatically expanded and user is forced to navigate through all menu items.
- Under important links section, there are several menus but not operable using keyboard
- Under “What’s new” section, role of “play” and “stop” elements are not defined.
- Redundent information is provided for links under What’s new section. Information is provided as text as well as alternate text for PDF image and also provided using ti
- “New” image does not have appropriate alternate text. also, it’s flashing.
- Links provided at right side e.g. Prime minister’s relief fund, e-Gazette etc., exposes redundent information to screen readers due to use of title attribute.
- Several images have additional alt text like Digital graphic
- Logo has marked up as a heading but there are no headings defined on the page
- Due to use of title attribute for several links with text “link” – redundant information is provided to screen readers
Related reading: Developer resources would be of help to resolve accessibility issues.